My day-job is developing and managing websites and e-commerce platforms, so I know the importance of stability and scalability on web platforms and technology in general. This is also true when working with my personal projects. For some time I have wanted to push my projects to the cloud so I can more easily utilize the scalability there. Also I only have a laptop, and I don’t want a desktop computer to take space, collect dust and consume power. Hardware also gets old and needs to be maintained. All those worries I would like to skip.
My goal is to setup a platform that will do a few things for me:
- Allow me to run my blog – this site
- Allow me to run my girlfriends blog – this site
- Be easy to update wordpress since it is known to have security issues in older versions
- Have good backup
- Alert me if/when the sites are down
- Alert me if/when the sites experience high load
- Protect the sites against ddos and similar attacks
- Provide me with a coherent platform for all my projects both web and data analysis
- Be a learning platform for new technology in cloud computing
Lofty goals but I hope to setup a platform that will service me for many years.